Tuesday, May 13, 2014

My Google Identity Crisis

No, it's not some weird internet troll story, and it's not about the time hackers repeatedly got into one of my most often used email accounts. It's even more boring than either of those things, which are pretty boring on their own. Although the email one is mildly amusing, in retrospect, so maybe I'll blog about it one day. I could blog about nothing substantive forever! Magical!

Since deciding to give blogging a try a few days ago, I've used three different Google profile names. No, this isn't part of my super-secret effort, I'm just wishy-washy about my silly username.

The first Google id I blogged from sounded a little funny (to me), so I chose it, and was based on my slightly funny (to me) blog name. The second one was also based on my blog name, and I accidentally forced myself into changing my profile name because I wanted to change which email address I was blogging from. My third, and current, Google profile id name is my first name, because several times over the past few days, I thought to myself  "I'll change my profile name to my first name when I'm more comfortable with blogging." When I commented on a friend's blog, yesterday, it was odd to feel like I was hiding my real first name on that blog, when I used to comment on her blog with my first name, but no Google account. And I most definitely wasn't talking about sweat or glitter when I commented on her blog. So I changed it again. I'll probably change it at least a dozen more times before I quit blogging. Add that to the list of things you don't care about.

A lot of this is really because I had several old email accounts, two of which I'd pretty much forgotten about, and now I'm in the process of getting all my random email accounts cleaned up and into something more usable. I found a 2010 invitation from a friend to join a site called Fitocracy in one of the accounts. Oops.

I'm not currently sweating. You also didn't care about that. No glitter going on in my world right now either. There were two cute stock pics in this post, but I'm having a hard time getting the photo credit links to work, so I'm giving up for now, finally releasing this incredibly fascinating post from the draft folder, and am about to go live with it.

I've noticed that several of the blogs I enjoy reading end the post with a question, and I think it's a pretty good way to get online conversation going, so here's one to end this post with. No shiny pennies, or other prizes, if you answer or don't. 

How do you decide on usernames, user ids, Google profile pics, and all that stuff? 


No comments:

Post a Comment