Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Solo Weekend

Last weekend, I went away by myself. It was my first time overnight by myself since September 2012, making it also my first time overnight by myself since my toddler offspring arrived on the scene. I love that sweet little LEG to pieces, but it sure was nice to get away. Now that I have a taste of the good life, I hope to do more of it. Too bad I don't get per diem when I go away.

I left Friday afternoon, intending to go meet friends in the next state over. Being the go-getter that I am, I decided to run a few errands on the way. Twelve errands were too many to be considered a few, and I didn't make it to my destination until late afternoon. Checked into the hotel, met up with a friend for a gourmet Panera dinner (any dinner you don't make yourself is fairly gourmet in my world), then met another friend for a historic ghost walk in a spooky, dark state park. It wasn't spooky. Just dark. Friend #2's five-year-old told me several times it wasn't scary. So disappointing.

Saturday morning, I ran with the local running club downtown. I enjoyed lovely fall foliage and beautiful mums, but I have no photographic proof of either. I rarely carry a camera running unless I have the stroller to put it in. Carry it myself? Ain't nobody got time for that. Then I headed back to the hotel for breakfast. Standard buffet, Panera would have been better, but this was convenient.

The pancakes were an odd shape. The syrup was rather restrictive. Everything tasted decent.

You had one job!

So if I serve pancakes for dinner, we can't use this syrup? Seems a bit discriminatory.

I met up with my friends again Saturday afternoon for a little fall foliage train ride at the local train museum. It was campy and fun. We sat on straw bales on an open-air train. Traffic even had to stop for us!

Foliage and a campy little train on a crisp fall morning. That's the stuff wild weekends away are made of.

Then we headed to a brewery for tastings, a tour, and lunch.

Sure hope they sterilize those bottles after they remove the flannel shirt and before they fill them with beer.

Saturday afternoon, I drove over to DC to visit more friends and watch the Marine Corps Marathon. We made motivational signs for our friends running the race. (This post makes it sounds like I have lots of friends. I don't. I just saw most of them last weekend.) We had no trouble thinking of catchy inspirational slogans to put on our signs.

I didn't get my ass kicked holding this sign near mile 1.

I attempted to track 13 friends during the race. Thanks to modern technology, my phone effectively tracked them all. No thanks to being human, I didn't see them all on the course. They were all of varying paces, so it was impossible to see everyone. I guess if we'd stayed in one place all day, we would have, but that would have been really boring. Watching a big race like MCM can be incredibly inspiring. For a good 12 hours or so, I was all pumped up to run another marathon. Then I remembered the training thing. Never mind. Scratch that "another marathon" thought.

In celebration of my first overnight trip away from LEG, my husband taught her a new baby trick while I was gone. Sunday afternoon, I was greeted by toddler hugs and an answer to the question "Who's mommy's girl?" My toddler spawn tilted her head sweetly, smiled, and said "Aaah ayam." You'd think we live in Georgia with a thick accent like that on "I am."

Marathons are on many people's bucket list. What's on yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment