Thursday, February 5, 2015

Like Ice is Cold

Last winter, my friend and I got together to make Christmas wreathes. Remember my post about going to buy supplies? And sweating glitter? Yeah, me neither. It wasn't very memorable. Here's another link in case you're bored enough to read it. Also, blogger fail. Crafter fail. Vain Pinterest user fail. I didn't take a picture of my wreath before giving it to someone for Christmas.

We had so much fun making the Christmas wreathes that we decided to get together to make Valentine's Day wreathes. I lured my friend in with the reminder that we're crafty like ice is cold. Only not in the Beastie Boys sense of being crafty like ice is cold. I just like the expression. And I like the Beastie Boys. Truth: License to Ill was the first cassette tape I bought.

For a few days last month, we sent each other links to ideas on Pinterest, made shopping lists, and pondered which one to make. Several shopping trips later, we settled down to make our crafts.


The haul from two of three shopping trips.

Armed with the knowledge that our kids wouldn't patiently play together while we crafted for an entire day, and that glue and paint take time to to dry, we both did some pre-work independently. We wrapped wreath forms and painted things red.

I learned that little wooden beads run away from spray paint, and cleverly corralled them in a cardboard box for painting.

Then we got together to socialize and craft. I'd like to say that the kids played quietly while we crafted, but they did require our attention a few times. My friend cleverly brought over some cool markers with stamp tops, which kept LEG and her son happily occupied for quite a while. One of these days, LEG will understand that markers aren't for coloring the palms of her hands.

Coffee, scissors, and hot glue guns at a toddler play date. Perfect. 

After about three hours of our kids playing with Little People, coloring, snacking, and taking hits off the humidifier, all while wearing fireman hats, we declared our wreathes awesome, and decided they were too much work to give away. 


What do you think? Pure awesomeness? Or too country craftsy cutesy? I think it's pretty fantastic, but am clearly biased.

No comments:

Post a Comment